Plantation shutters are one of the most popular window treatments for homeowners, not only because they are available in different designs, but are easy to install and maintain as well. However, most people don’t take good care of plantation shutters, which require regular clean to look their best.
One problem that certain people faced is that not all plantation shutters are meant to be cleaned in the same manner. Fortunately for you, we are going to be discussing the best methods for cleaning different types of plantation shutters installed in your home.
Ø Cleaning Wood Shutters
Wooden shutters are easy to maintain and can be cleaned in the traditional way without using any chemical cleaning products or water. All you need to do is regularly clean them with a dusting cloth, a vacuum, or a small brush and they will look as good as new. You must go about it in the right way, so that you properly clean wooden shutters without damaging them.
Here is how you go about cleaning wood shutters:
- If there is a lot of dust on the shutter, you should run the vacuum over it to grab most of the dirt and dust.
- Now you should clean the shutter with a dusting cloth or a small brush to get in spaces where the vacuum may not have reached.
- If there are hard to reach places where the dust has thickened, you can apply a little water on the shutter to and gently scrub the dirty area.
Make sure that you dry off the area you cleaned with a wet cloth, so that there isn’t damage or warping to the surface.
Ø Cleaning Polycore Shutters
Polycore shutters are made from synthetic materials, and the best way to clean them is with chemical cleaning products. You can use the same method for cleaning them as you did with the wooden shutters, and then apply cleaning products on it to ensure they are as good as new.
Here is how you go about cleaning Polycore shutters:
- Run the vacuum over any dust on the shutters.
- Use the dusting cloth or brush to reach spaces where the vacuum couldn’t get.
- Clean all dirt and spots on the shutter with a wet cleaning cloth
- If there are stubborn dirty areas, you can use a cleaning solution
Don’t leave the shutter wet after you have done cleaning it, since it may damage the surface.
If you have plantation shutters installed in your home, you need to take great care of them, and practice regular maintenance to keep them in great shape. If you are looking to purchase different types of shutters, then check out the complete collection of shutters and other window treatment solutions at Creative Window Coverings today!